LEESBURG, Va.The average nationwide price for a gallon of gasoline nudged up 0.4 of a cent to $1.746, the fourth-consecutive daily record, according to motorists organization AAA.
While Americans may be feeling the effects of spiraling gasoline prices, they are not powerless in controlling their fuel costs.
Theres a wide range of fuel-saving tactics that can help drivers get more miles from a tank of gas, said Joel Burrows, The Car Doctor from Precision Tune Auto Care. If motorists adjust their driving habits and observe some simple car care techniques, they could make a significant impact on how much fuel they waste, and that translates into substantial money savings.
The Car Doctor offers the following 10 tips to help consumers save gasoline costs:
1. Keep tires properly inflated (recommended air pressure is posted on the drivers door or in the glove compartment). Under-inflated tires cause drag; over-inflated tires cause improper tire-to-road contact. Both conditions will result in abnormal wear.
2. Plan your day. Limit trips by running all errands at the same time or on your way to or from work.
3. Have a certified technician perform an engine and emissions analysis to ensure the engine is running at maximum efficiency.
4. Avoid making quick starts or stops. To avoid jamming on brakes, stay a good distance from the car in front of you. When possible, slow down simply by taking your foot off the gas.
5. Maintain steady speeds; use cruise control on the open road.
6. Do NOT use your air conditioner when driving in the city if you are in a warm climate. DO use your air conditioner on the open road rather than keeping windows open. (Open windows create wind drag, straining the engine.)
7. Use proper octane fuel. Higher-octane gas, which produces less energy, not only costs more, it also yields lower miles per gallon.
8. Dont let the engine idle more than a minute or two. This is extremely important on cold morning start-ups.
9. Todays vehicles run on a fine film of fluids. Make sure you service all fluids on a regular basis and in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. Engine oil level should be checked at every fill-up.
10. Use over-drive gear for highway driving.