21st Annual Rockford Area CROP Hunger Walk set for Oct. 21

The 21st Annual Rockford Area CROP Hunger Walk will be Sunday, Oct. 21, 2007, starting at Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St. Registration is at 1 p.m., 2 p.m. step-off. It is hoped that 400 people can raise $40,000 to help local hunger programs and overseas relief.

Donations are raised through cash sponsorships solicited by the walkers themselves, based upon their completion of the 4-mile walk. Volunteer walkers can call (815) 964-7111 for sponsor sheets, or contact one of 41 congregations and businesses that are walking.

Local food banks and pantries will receive 25 percent of the money raised to help feed hungry people. The remaining 75 percent will go through Church World Service (celebrating 60 years) and other international relief agencies to provide food and disaster relief in more than 70 countries.

Rockford Urban Ministries, the Northern Illinois Food Bank, the Rock River Valley Pantry, Rockford Area Lutheran Ministries and Church World Service sponsor the CROP Walk. This will be the 21st annual walk, with 41 congregations and organizations participating, the most ever.

Sixty communities across the Chicago/northern Illinois area will help stomp out hunger in annual CROP Walks, including Rockford’s. Participants expect to raise awareness about hunger issues and more than $800,000 in funds to provide food and resources to hungry people in their own communities and around the world.

from the Oct. 17-23, 2007, issue

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!