- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
'Discover Engineering' Feb. 24 at Discovery Center
Civil engineers are using foam walls to give the Indy 500 Speedway safer curves. Computer science engineers are working on robots so tiny they might eventually fit inside the human body.
Hard to believe? Not if youre an engineer.
Local engineering feats will be showcased at Discovery Center Museum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 24, to celebrate National Engineers Week, which runs Feb. 18-24.
Discover Engineering offers elementary and middle school-age children and their families the opportunity to take part in numerous experiments and hands-on activities such as designing and testing catapults and bridges, watching demonstrations, talking with engineers from area companies, and taking in a live science show. Cost is included with admission to the museum$5 for adults, $4 for children ages 2-17 and free to Museum members and children younger than 2.
Engineers from local companies, along with members of the local professional engineering societies, including the Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, will be on hand to provide demonstrations, hands-on activities and general information. At 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. there will be live shows with science and engineering exploits sure to amaze the whole family.
National Engineers Week is dedicated to encouraging pre-college interest in science, technology and engineering. For more information about engineering, check out discoverengineering.org.
Discovery Center Museum is at 711 N. Main St. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday; noon-5 p.m., Sunday.
From the Feb. 21-27, 2007, issue