- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
'Discover Engineering' Feb. 24 at Discovery Center
Civil engineers are using foam walls to give the Indy 500 Speedway safer curves. Computer science engineers are working on robots so tiny they might eventually fit inside the human body.
Hard to believe? Not if youre an engineer.
Local engineering feats will be showcased at Discovery Center Museum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 24, to celebrate National Engineers Week, which runs Feb. 18-24.
Discover Engineering offers elementary and middle school-age children and their families the opportunity to take part in numerous experiments and hands-on activities such as designing and testing catapults and bridges, watching demonstrations, talking with engineers from area companies, and taking in a live science show. Cost is included with admission to the museum$5 for adults, $4 for children ages 2-17 and free to Museum members and children younger than 2.
Engineers from local companies, along with members of the local professional engineering societies, including the Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, will be on hand to provide demonstrations, hands-on activities and general information. At 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. there will be live shows with science and engineering exploits sure to amaze the whole family.
National Engineers Week is dedicated to encouraging pre-college interest in science, technology and engineering. For more information about engineering, check out discoverengineering.org.
Discovery Center Museum is at 711 N. Main St. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday; noon-5 p.m., Sunday.
From the Feb. 21-27, 2007, issue