- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
Animal control director joins state organization
Gary Longanecker, director of Winnebago County Animal Services (WCAS), has been elected treasurer and board member of the newly formed County Animal Controls of Illinois (CACI).
CACIs first officers and board members are the individuals who were instrumental in creating this statewide organization and have been joined by other county animal control agencies throughout Illinois.
This new organization was formed in October 2005 as the result of a revised version of the Illinois Animal Control Act, which lacked statewide input from animal control agencies and administrators. Membership is approaching 60 percent, indicating strong support for the goals of this organization.
During the past several months, CACI has drafted an amended Illinois Animal Control Act legislative package, and is now presenting that amended document to various members of the Illinois legislature for passage. The amended bill addresses numerous animal control issues, including mandatory micro chipping of animals, dangerous and vicious animals, as well as the serious animal overpopulation issues affecting animal control agencies throughout the state.
Formation of this statewide organization is the first time in many years animal control administrators from across Illinois have come together to present a unified voice in the face of new legislation affecting animals and citizens of Illinois.
From the Jan. 18-24, 2006, issue