April 10 run supports donation

The first-ever “Red Shoe Run—For Donor Awareness” is set to start at 8 a.m., Saturday, April 10, at Rock Valley College. The competitive run is being held to help raise awareness of the need for livesaving blood, bone marrow, cornea, organ and tissue donations.

Proceeds from the event will support the local donation community with beneficiaries changing each year. The National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) has been selected as this year’s beneficiary.

More than 30,000 people are diagnosed with life-threatening blood diseases each year. Many could be cured with a bone marrow or blood stem cell transplant, but they need matching donors. About 30 percent will find a matching donor within their family. The remaining 70 percent will need to search for an unrelated donor.

People who become part of the NMDP Registry must pay $60 for a tissue typing blood test. Organizations can sponsor a team for the Red Shoe Run with the money being used to cover the tissue typing blood test.

For more information on the Red Shoe Run, contact the Gift of Hope Organ and Tissue Donor Network at 815-961-8214. For information on the NMDP, visit www.marrow.org.

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!