ArtScene this weekend!
ArtScene this weekend!
This weekend, the Rockford Area Arts Council will present a new event, the Spring/ArtScene in downtowns River District. Hours are Friday, April 25, from 5 to 9 p.m., and Saturday, April 26, 3 to 9 p.m. Nine galleries and studios will present work for all to admire and/or purchase.
Participating galleries are:
1. 317 Market Street Gallery/Studios, 317 Market St., 962-1476. Fall Reflections in Anderson Gardens. An exhibit of photography by David Anderson. Also featuring new works in loft studios of Cotti, Ekstam, Kistler, Hinde, Leatherby, Newton, Noerr, Novak, Ryan, Webb Tregay and Zimmer.
2. Bacchus Wine Bar, 515 E. State St., 968-5181. Art & Iron. Metal art by H. Edward Riddle includes wall hangings, free-standing pieces and functional tables and benches. Also featuring contemporary abstracts and nudes by Gare Hartsfield.
3. Bennies Cleaners, 126 N. First St., 964-3070. An exhibit by Karen Gines, art from fabric; Norm Knott, bejeweled furnishings, Twilight Zone Tribute, mixed media; Cindy Hughes, fiber art; Wanie Reeverts, watercolor collage.
4. Church Street Gallery, 835 N. Church St., 961-8265. Realism or Not. A collection of paintings in oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel and hand-painted silk, featuring artists: Christy Andres, Jean Apgar, Barbara Burns, Jeanette Faye, K Dyer, Catherine Gambino, Kathy Maynor Rybicki, Barbara Santucci, Peg Sowle and Mary Ann Torchia.
5. J.R. Kortman Center for Design, 107 N. Main St., 968-0123. The Mercy Machine. From the streets of Soho, artist Flint Butera of New York City brings intriguing and surprising imagery through mixed media collage.
6. Octane Upbeat Casual Dining, 124 N. Main St., 965-4012. Be Here Now. An exhibit by Nancy Von Lugossy, is a celebration of knowing one another without veils. This mixed media show explores how, as you find the light within yourself, it allows you to see it as well in everyone else.
7. Paragon on State, 205 W. State St., 963-1660. Steve Coogans Still Life. A collection of highly-rendered still life subjects in oil by Rockfordian Steve Coogan.
8. Underground Studios, 2110 11th St., 965-0390. Fresh Paint. Paintings and sculpture by Roni Golan in the newly-constructed Underground Gallery & Studios.
9. Village Gallery in Stewart Square, 308 W. State St., 963-2787. Cooperative Visions. Collective works from Rockford-area artists showing together in a cooperative endeavor, bringing together different styles and unique works of art.
Information: Rockford Area Arts Council, 963-6765. Mark your calendar for the fall edition of ArtScene 2003, Oct. 3 and 4.