- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Blood Center celebrates Olympics with special edition T-shirt
The Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) is celebrating the 2004 Olympics by giving a special edition T-shirt to all those who register to give blood during the Olympics (Aug. 13-27).
We thought this would be a nice way to thank our donors and celebrate the Olympic games, said Jennifer Bowman, RRVBC public relations director. Olympic athletes and blood donors are all heroes, so the idea cam naturally.
As temperatures rise, so do high-risk activities and related injuries. At this time, there is a need for all types of blood. In hopes of offsetting blood shortages that are common during the summer months, RRVBC incorporates several summer promotions to recruit donors. One in three of us will need blood. Last year, more than 4 million American lives were saved through blood transfusion. The RRVBC is making every attempt to ensure that the community is given the opportunity to conveniently donate blood.
RRVBC is open 6:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 6:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Fridays.
Info: RRVBC at 815/965-8751, stop in at 419 N. Sixth St., or visit www.rrvbc.org.