- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Burpee Museum happenings
Burpee Museum happenings
SpringFest offers bugable delicacies
The Burpee Museum of Natural History will hold its annual SpringFest Saturday, May 3. Joining this years acivities are students and teachers from the Rockford Environmental Science Academy (RESA) with its Eat the Bug Fest! RESA students will prepare and serve entomological delicacies at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Throughout the school year, the Environmental Research classes have been studying and eating insects. Come see and taste the wonders of consumable critters.
The menu consists of Ant-Egg Soup, Bug-Bootie Burritos, Cricket-Head Crackers, and Giant Water Beetle Pate. Crafts and recycling activities will be conducted throughout the museum, offering fun and conversation for everyone. Make worm and dirt treats if eating bugs doesnt tickle your taste buds, or make a wonderful bouquet for Mom with a surprise inside!
Regular admission is $4 for adults, $3 for children. Delectable Bugable delicacies are free, but seating is limited. Parking is available at no cost at the Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Information: 965-3433, ext. 1001.
The Burpee Museum of Natural History will hold its First Yard Sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 4, at the museum, 737 N. Main St. Holli Palmer, director of visitor services, says, We have done some spring cleaning, and many treasures from the two historical homes and the Solem Wing will go on sale to the public to make way for new exhibits, including JaneRockfords celebrity dinosaur. Some of the items include: big game heads, mounted fish, a wide variety of rocks and minerals, large ornate frames, marble top sink and basin, balance scales and weights, Mac PCs, display cases, books and magazines, animal cages, aquariums and more! The Burpee yard sale is in conjunction with the museums annual SpringFest Family Day. Please join the fun, rain or shine! Information: 965-3433, ext. 1001.