- Comptroller: state payroll system antiquated
- Remember, fireworks are dangerous
- Wallace asks citizens to fight cuts
- Dispute over state payroll rolls on
- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
By Joe Baker, Senior Editor
Have you paid close attention to developments since Sept. 11? (From Citizen-Times.com) Consider this:
An inarticulate, politically inexperienced man with family links to a previous national regime comes to provincial leadership.
Subsequently, he gains the highest national office without winning the popular vote. The election in which he was declared the victor is considered compromised by his brothers province.
He appoints a chief law enforcement officer who has repeatedly called for constitutional revisions.
Regulatory agencies are filled with those previously regulated.
Soldiers patrol transportation centers.
International treaties are abrogated.
International legal organizations are shunned.
Roles of police and military are blurred.
Law enforcement agencies are centralized.
Individual civil rights are reduced.
A shadow government is created.
Domestic surveillance is increased.
People are encouraged to spy on each other.
Military budgets are increased.
The military establishes a disinformation program.
Media access to government is limited.
Consultations with the legislative branch decline.
Connections to corrupt corporate sponsors are disavowed.
Efforts to further plunder natural resources for profit are initiated.
Access to past administrations documents is limited.
A war mentality is established with imprecise enemies.
Nebulous fear-inducing alerts are periodically released.
National level profiling is introduced.
People are imprisoned without public charges and unknown others have disappeared.
Does the word coup come to mind?