- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
By Joe Baker, Senior Editor
Have you paid close attention to developments since Sept. 11? (From Citizen-Times.com) Consider this:
An inarticulate, politically inexperienced man with family links to a previous national regime comes to provincial leadership.
Subsequently, he gains the highest national office without winning the popular vote. The election in which he was declared the victor is considered compromised by his brothers province.
He appoints a chief law enforcement officer who has repeatedly called for constitutional revisions.
Regulatory agencies are filled with those previously regulated.
Soldiers patrol transportation centers.
International treaties are abrogated.
International legal organizations are shunned.
Roles of police and military are blurred.
Law enforcement agencies are centralized.
Individual civil rights are reduced.
A shadow government is created.
Domestic surveillance is increased.
People are encouraged to spy on each other.
Military budgets are increased.
The military establishes a disinformation program.
Media access to government is limited.
Consultations with the legislative branch decline.
Connections to corrupt corporate sponsors are disavowed.
Efforts to further plunder natural resources for profit are initiated.
Access to past administrations documents is limited.
A war mentality is established with imprecise enemies.
Nebulous fear-inducing alerts are periodically released.
National level profiling is introduced.
People are imprisoned without public charges and unknown others have disappeared.
Does the word coup come to mind?