City offers help with repairing or purchasing a home

City offers help with repairing or purchasing a home


Do you own a home that needs repair?

Or are you a first-time homebuyer looking to purchase a newly-rehabilitated or newly-constructed home?

The City of Rockford can help you!

To repair your home, the Property Standards Program provides a forgiven loan up to $35,000 (depending upon the square footage of the home).

The Two-thirds/One-third Program provides 2/3 of the cost of rehab in the form of a forgiven loan.

The property must be: single-family detached; owner-occupied; located in St. Paul’s Place, Mulberry Forest, South Main Street or 7th Street TIF strategy area.

The applicant must be: 18 years of age; a citizen of the United States or a registered alien; credit worthy (must be at least two years since a discharged Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, four years since a Chapter 7).

The Triway Program, which is a grant and interest subsidy program, is also available for owner-occupied properties anywhere within the city of Rockford.

To purchase a home, apply for the Homestead Partnership Program or the WEST SIDE ALIVE! Program.

The city of Rockford rehabilitates homes to sell through the Homestead Partnership Program.

The city of Rockford also builds homes on city-owned lots to sell through the WEST SIDE ALIVE! Program.

For both, Homestead and WEST SIDE ALIVE! programs, the financing is made affordable to the qualified first-time homebuyer through conventional financing at market loan rates, 0 percent interest loans, forgivable loans for five, 10 or 15 years, and grants for down payments and closing costs.

For more information, contact the City of Rockford Community Development Department at 987-5690, TDD (815) 987-5590. Applications are now being accepted at City of Rockford City Hall building, 425 East State Street.

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!