- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Create a Bridge to A Safe Community
Three area organizations are working together to Create a Bridge to A Safe Community. To recognize Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Zonta has partnered with WAVE and Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling (RSAC) to place purple and teal ribbons at local bridges and city intersections for the month of October. Purple is the awareness color for domestic violence, and teal is the awareness color for sexual assault.
Zonta, WAVE and RSAC have identified domestic violence as a prevalent issue in our society. Nearly one-third of American women report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives. One in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys will experience sexual abuse or assault by age 18.
The goal of this project is to raise awareness and facilitate dialogue about how everyone can work together to Create a Bridge to A Safe Community.
Zonta Club of Rockford is a chapter of the international organization Zonta International. Members of Zonta are professional and executive women working together to advance the status of women through service and advocacy. Their mission includes improving the legal, political, economic, health, educational and professional status of women.
WAVE (Working Against Violent Environments
WAVE is a comprehensive domestic violence victim services program that provides a 24-hour hotline, emergency shelter, counseling, case management, legal advocacy and group support to adult and child victims of domestic violence. WAVE serves Winnebago and Boone counties.
Rockford Sexual Assualt Counseling
Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling (RSAC) responds to the needs of survivors of sexual abuse/assault through crisis intervention, legal advocacy and counseling. RSAC also provides community education in an effort to create awareness and reduce the prevalence of sexual violence in our community. RSAC serves Boone, Winnebago and Ogle counties.
from the Oct. 24-30, 2007, issue