First, let me begin by saying I think Ive been a good boy this year. That being said, here is this sports fans wish list for 2007…
1. Brett Favre to lose his final game against the Bears, and then fade into the sidelines as he awaits his enshrinement into the NFL Hall of Fame.
2. The Chicago Bears to advance throughout the playoffs and win their second Super Bowl.
3. Mark Martin to win the Daytona 500.
4. The Chicago Bulls to continue to have success, and make it past the first round of the NBA playoffs.
5. Bradley Universitys mens basketball team to equal or surpass last years trip to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament.
6. The Tennessee Volunteers football team to win another national championship.
7. To bowl a 700 series.
8. To shoot a hole in one.
9. IceHogs to stay in the UHL and play in the newly-renovated MetroCentre.
10. A Cubs vs. White Sox World Series.
11. The Rockford Speedway to have great weather and a successful racing season.
12. Get rid of the NFL Network.
13. Ditto for the BCS.
14. To catch more and bigger fish.
15. A local high school team to win a state championship.
16. Play a round of golf with Tiger Woods.
17. Family-friendly ticket pricing at professional sporting events.
18. Take a ride with the Blue Angels during the Rockford AirFest.
19. Have one of my columns picked up by a national publication.
20. Danica Patrick to win a race.
21. To be re-hired for the radio broadcasts of Boylan High School Football.
22. No more stories about professional athletes and strip clubs.
23. Chicago to be named as the host site for the next summer Olympic games.
24. Throw out an opening pitch at a RiverHawks game.
25. PEACE ON EARTH (including the sidelines and stands of sporting venues throughout the world).
I realize some of these things may be more difficult than others, some may even be impossible, so just do the best you can.
Your friend in sports,
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Dec. 20-26, 2006, issue