- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Detoxing through yoga
Detoxing through yoga
By Claudette Pirrello
Yoga has become understood most commonly in the terms of health and fitness. And though this is true, it is so much more than just exercise. Yoga is an ancient art, based on a harmonizing system of development for the body, mind and spirit. The practice of yoga makes the body strong and flexible, and improves the functioning of the respiratory, circulatory, digestive and hormonal systems. The continued practice of yoga will lead you to a sense of peace and well-being along as well as and fitness.
A major value of yoga is that it includes the methodical stimulation necessary for organs and glands of the various body systems. For example, the brain and the pituitary gland are affected by the head stand; the heart and thyroid are involved in the shoulder stand; the locust strengthens the reproductive organs and glands; and the kidneys are stimulated through the cobra and the bow poses. The abdominal lift provides a type of natural massage for the stomach, colon, intestines, liver, kidneys, gall bladder and pancreas, all with one movement.
Constipation is a serious and frequent problem for many people, particularly for those who must spend a great deal of time in a sitting position. Long periods of inactivity cause the peristaltic action to grow sluggish. There is no better solution to this problem than regular practice of the abdominal lifts. This priceless technique is worthy of your most patient practice since it will certainly be utilized for your entire lifetime.
The way in which we breathe directly affects our physical and mental well-being, and determines to a great extent the length and quality of our lives. The complete breaths primary objective is to utilize the lungs in their entirety and extract the most life-force possible. Increased deep breathing will improve the quality of your blood, complexion, and general health. By focusing on your breath while doing yoga, you are allowing your body to remove toxins from your physical body and your emotional body.
Yoga is concerned with the health and beauty of the body as a unified whole. Weight control, slimming, firming, relief of tension and stiffness, improvement of general health, emergence of hidden beauty, emotional stability and a positive mental attitude will be experienced by all who apply themselves diligently to the practice of yoga.
Claudette Pirrello has her practice at Dr. Julias Inn where she teaches sunset yoga, reiki, and raindrop therapy. Claudette also teaches yoga at the Jewish Community Center and the YMCA. To make an appointment with Claudette, call 962-3326.