Dr. Julia’s Inn: Shampoo, toothpaste filled with dangerous toxins?

By Dr. Julia Whipkey-Michniewicz, N.D.

Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine

On Feb. 23, 1998, CBS reported a finding of a study from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ National Toxicology Program that sent a shockwave throughout the cosmetic and personal care products industries. DEA (diethanolamine) is an ingredient that is found in soaps, detergents, shampoos, conditioners, bubble baths, lotions, cosmetics and more than 600 home and personal care products. This home and personal care product is suspected of carcinogenic activity and is potentially dangerous and hazardous to our health.

Let’s look at a typical shampoo label. Ingredients: purified water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl sarcisnatem, mioprophylamine, oxide, COCAMIDE DEA, glycerine, imidazollidiynyl urea, citric acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, PROPELYNE GLYCOL, D & C red dye No. 33, FD & C blue dye No. 1.

AND WE WONDER WHY WE ARE DYING OF CANCER. An ingredient used for decades in products that we expose ourselves to every day for many hours—bathing, putting on makeup, brushing our teeth—and it contributes to cancer.

DEA is a known toxin in the industrial world and has been proven to cause cancer when applied to the skin of rats. As expected, the cosmetic industry response is “this has not been proven in humans,” or another statement was “our products are FDA-approved.” Dr. Samuel Epstein, founder of the American Coalition to Prevent Cancer and the world’s leading authority on toxicology, has issued a stern warning regarding the use of DEA.

Let’s go one step further. The main ingredient in antifreeze is the main ingredient in our home and cosmetic products. Propylene glycol is the main ingredient found in antifreeze and, unfortunately, it is found in many personal care items. Propylene glycol is used in brake and hydraulic fluid, de-icer, paints, coatings, floor wax, laundry detergents, pet food, tobacco, cosmetics, toothpaste, shampoos, baby wipes, deodorants, lotions, processed foods and much more. When it is absorbed into the bloodstream, it goes into our cells. What? Antifreeze in our cells? SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) is a powerful cleanser and is found in concrete floor cleaners, engine de-greasers and car wash detergents. This is found in our toothpaste. In the journal of the American College of Toxicology, it states that SLS can impair proper structural formation of young eyes and can damage the immune system.

So what can we do? I would suggest you do what I have done. Because of my cancer, I have done research on what products really are natural and what products are putting antifreeze in our systems. I switched all my laundry soap, dish soap, bath soap, toothpaste, hair products, deodorant, etc., without all the toxic chemicals mentioned above.

There is so much toxicity in our home, it’s no wonder people are ill. Shampoos use formaldehyde as a preservative. Since 1980, asthma has increased by 600 percent. Common household products have been identified as triggers to asthma. If anyone would like a copy of this report, please feel free to contact my office, and let’s all start getting healthier by what we are doing to our precious bodies.

Just an added note: I just visited a friend at one of our local hospitals and, as I left, I grabbed her hospital sensi-care moisturizing body cream. The very first ingredient is diethanolamine.

Dr. Julia Whipkey-Michniewicz is a Naturopathic Doctor and a Colon Hydrotherapist. You can hear Dr. Julia on WROK at 10:30 a.m. Fridays. You may reach Dr. Julia in her Rockford office at 962-3326, Web page www.pooppalace.com or e-mail her at JAMichniew@aol.com.

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!