- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
Evening in Tropics to aid Haiti
n Fresh water for thousands is goal of fund-raiser
Three businessmen in Rockford have joined forces to help Haitians . . . again.
Tom Lorden, Pat Bachrodt and Pete Roche donated several years ago to Food For The Poor, the fourth largest international relief organization aiding the Caribbean and Central America, to build houses for destitute families. Later, they traveled to Côtes-de-Fer, Haiti to visit the project, which consisted of a village of more than 40 homes. The men were so touched by the intense poverty they decided that building a few homes would never be enough.
I will never get the image of people carrying buckets on their heads for miles and miles out of my head, Bachrodt said. Because of those images, Bachrodt, along with Lorden and Roche, began Hope for Haitians, a non-profit group seeking to raise funds to build wells for fresh water in some of the worst slums in Haiti.
Each well costs about $18,000 to construct, and will provide fresh water to thousands of people each day. The wells are worth much more than $18,000, according to Lorden, because diseases resulting from contaminated water are one of the most common forms of illness and death in Haiti, especially in children and the elderly.
To raise the funds for the construction of wells by Food For The Poor in Haiti, the group will hold its first ever Evening in the Tropics, fund-raising dinner on Saturday, Aug. 23. The dinner will be at The University Club, and will feature Caribbean-style cuisine, silent and live auctions, and steel drum music by Pangea. Cost of the evening is $125 per couple or $65 for singles.
For a special invitation to the event, for more information, or to make a donation call Ann at 815-332-3000 ext. 201.