Expert hypothesizes explosives brought down WTC towers

A physics professor at Brigham Young University has added his voice to those who assert the World Trade Center towers were felled, not by airplanes, but by explosives.

Steven E. Jones issued a paper examining what happened on 9/11 and why the official story cannot be correct. In the introduction to his paper, Jones declared: “In writing this paper, I call for a serious investigation of the hypothesis that WTC-7 and the Twin Towers were brought down, not just by damage and fires, but through the use of pre-positioned explosives.”

For his trouble, Professor Jones has been muzzled by the university. BYU issued a statement both discrediting and distancing itself from Jones after his paper was made public only about two weeks ago. Some observers suspect the Bush administration exerted pressure on university officials to make Jones shut up. They note colleges and universities depend to some extent on federal grants for operating funds.

Jones’ 19-page paper outlines how the laws of physics render the administration’s explanation of how the towers fell inoperable. The professor, who does research in fusion and solar energy at BYU, is calling for an independent investigation “guided not by politicized notions and constraints but rather by observations and calculations.”

Jones said: “It is quite plausible that explosives were pre-planted in all three buildings and set off after the two plane crashes—which were actually a diversion tactic. Muslims are (probably) not to blame for bringing down the WTC buildings after all.”

He said there is no point in speculating who planted the explosives until a thorough scientific investigation has been completed. Jones’ paper is posted on the Internet at www.physics.byu/research/energy/htm7.html.

The owner of WTC-7, which was not hit by an airplane, later said he ordered the building “pulled,” that is, demolished with explosives. It was subsequently learned that the building contained investigative documents belonging to the IRS, the SEC and the CIA.

The professor said previous “investigations,” including those by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), the 9/11 Commission, and NIST (National Institutes of Standards and Technology) did not deal with the physics and chemistry of the events of Sept. 11, 2001. He said the official story that fire caused the collapses can’t be supported either by testing or history.

Jones wants the government to release 6,899 photos and 6,977 pieces of video footage for independent examination. He also would like to analyze a small sample of the molten metal found at Ground Zero.

His hypothesis is shared by a number of others. Christopher Bollyn, writing for American Free Press in December, 2001, quoted Val Romero, an explosives expert and former director of the Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center at New Mexico Tech. Romero, speaking on Sept. 11 itself, said: “My opinion is, based on the videotapes, that after the airplanes hit the World Trade Center, there were some explosive devices inside the buildings that caused the towers to collapse.”

Romero said the collapse of the towers was much like the controlled implosions used to bring down old buildings and was “too methodical to be a chance result of airplanes colliding with the structures.” He made that comment to The Albuquerque Journal mere hours after the attack.

The south tower collapsed 53 minutes after being struck, and the north tower came down 88 minutes after it was hit. “It would be difficult for something from the plane to trigger an event like that,” Romero said.

“One of the things terrorist events are noted for is a diversionary attack and secondary device,” he said. The attackers set off an initial diversionary explosion [the plane crashes], and when emergency personnel reach the scene, a second explosion or series of explosions is detonated.

Ten days after he made his comments, and after strong criticism from the Bush administration, Romero made a complete turnaround and said the fires caused the buildings to collapse.

But, as Jones found, a temperature of 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit would be needed to “partly evaporate” steel, as happened to some members of the steel skeletons of the towers. Although the airplanes were carrying about 23,000 gallons of jet fuel, that fire and the burning office contents, would not generate hot enough temperatures to weaken or melt supports. Neither the jet fuel nor the office debris burned long enough to accomplish that result.

In addition, there were numerous reports by witnesses of explosions in the buildings. Bollyn quoted New York firefighter Louie Cacchioli, 51, one of the first from his department to enter the second tower. Cacchioli told People Weekly on Sept. 24: “I was taking firefighters up, in the elevator to the 24th floor to get in position to evacuate workers. On the last trip up, a bomb went off. We think there were bombs set in the building.”

Kim White was working on the 80th floor of the south tower. “All of a sudden, the building shook,” she said, “then it started to sway. We didn’t know what was going on. We got all our people on the floor into the stairwell. At that time, we all thought it was a fire. We got down as far as the 74th floor…then there was another explosion.”

Lee Robertson, the lead structural engineer who designed the WTC towers, said: “I designed it for a 707 to hit it.” That plane has a fuel capacity similar to a 767. Another architect on the project, Aaron Swirski, told Jerusalem Post Radio after the attack: “It was designed around that eventuality to survive this kind of attack.”

Hyman Brown, construction manager of the WTC, told Bollyn: “It was over-designed to withstand almost anything including hurricanes, high winds, bombings and an airplane hitting it.”

The contractor who removed the rubble of the WTC after the collapse was Controlled Demolition, Inc., of Baltimore, Md. That is the same company that hurriedly removed and buried the debris from the Alfred Murrah Building in Oklahoma City, where internal explosives also were suspected.

Police in New York said some of the WTC scrap was sold to Mob-controlled businesses instead of going to a dump where investigators were inspecting the rubble for clues and human remains.

Controlled Demolition is headed by Mark Loizeaux. He, Douglas Loizeaux and CDI, were indicted by a federal grand jury in February 2000 for making illegal campaign contributions. The company and the Loizeaux brothers were acquitted in September 2000.

The second airplane almost missed the South Tower, striking a corner of the building and causing most of the jet fuel to burn outside the structure. Yet, that tower collapsed many minutes before the North Tower, which was completely penetrated by the other airplane.

After criticism from BYU superiors, Jones publicly stated: “University officials and I have come to an understanding that in the best interest for all parties involved, it is better that I limit my speaking on 9/11 to academic peer reviews.”

In its statement, BYU said: “The university is aware that Professor Steven Jones’ hypotheses and interpretations of evidence regarding the collapse of World Trade Center buildings are being questioned by a number of scholars and practitioners, including many of BYU’s own faculty members. Professor Jones’ department and college administrators are not convinced that his analyses and hypotheses have been submitted to relevant scientific venues that would ensure rigorous technical peer review.”

From the Dec. 7-13, 2005, issue

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!