- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
Get on your Soap Box!
Editors Note: Last week The Rock River Times reported the first date of this series to be May 15. However, this date has been changed to May 22.
Citizens! Were holding some town meetings, and you have the special distinction of being invited to be a Soap Box Speaker. We believe that you have very strong opinions about a particular topic of importance to the citizens of Rockford, Illinois.
Sponsored by The Rock River Times, the Soap Box Series is a series of three town meetings where people of opinion have the opportunity to present their pet topic to people interested in issues and developments in our city. The series will culminate one week before the Fourth of July with a wrap-up featured in The Rock River Times.
Series at Memorial Hall
The series is free to the public at Memorial Hall, 7 to 9 p.m., on the following Thursdays: May 22, June 5 and June 26.
Each evening will feature the Five-Minute Soap Box Speeches of six scheduled speakers and two write-in slots that will be drawn from a hat that evening. Each speaker will be allowed to speak uninterrupted for 5 minutes to address an issue or expound on a great idea.
After an hour of the Soap Box Speeches, discussion groups about the particular topics will collect throughout the hall for a further exchange of ideas.
Will you be a Soapbox Speaker? Do you want to prepare to speak for 5 minutes on a topic that will give the citizens of Rockford an enlightened viewpoint?
Please respond as soon as possible. Give your name, proposed topic and your availability for the scheduled evenings (May 22, June 5 or 26). A schedule will be compiled from the responses received.
The Rock River Times Soap Box Series
128 N. Church St.
Rockford, IL 61101