- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Gin Blossoms rock for local charity
Rock stars are not usually known for their generosity. The Gin Blossoms shattered this stereotype when they played a benefit concert for the Hunger Connection at Davis Park on Friday, July 18.
The show, which featured Harmony Riley as the opening act, was free to each concertgoer who donated two canned goods. The Gin Blossoms agreed to help restock the Hunger Connection after learning of the July 5 storm and subsequent power outage that wiped out local food pantries.
The Tempe, Arizona-based band entertained the all ages crowd with fun and catchy pop-rock fare. They played several selections from their 1992 release, New Miserable Experience, which sold 3 million copies in the U.S. alone. A loyal contingent of fans sang along as the group dived into midtempo hits like Found Out About You and the infectious Hey Jealousy.
The Gin Blossoms also performed other crowd favorites including the harmonica rocker Follow You Down and the No. 1 smash Til I Hear It From You off 1996s Congratulations Im Sorry.
The group separates itself from typical pop bands by adding intricate and rock-flavored guitar solos. Lyrically, their songs display a great amount of depth and meaning; something thats lacking in much of todays mainstream music.
Despite a modest turnout, the band delivered an enthusiastic hour and a half set. Lead singer Robin Wilson assured the audience, Well come and play Cheap Tricks hometown any day!
The Gin Blossoms will be on tour for the remainder of the year and plan to release a new CD. For the latest information, check out www.gin-blossoms.com.