For everything you do, theres a green choice thats good for you AND the environment. Here, youll find information about how people, companies and organizations are embracing GREEN TECHNOLOGY and discovering environmentally-responsible alternatives to older technology.
Use a few easy tips:
1. Everybody knows you should combine as many trips as possible. And if you get all those errands done on the same day you go to work anyway youll have more time on the weekend! Dont think youll save if you leave your car running while youre doing that errand, though. If you plan to idle more than 10 seconds, turn the car off for maximum savings.
2. Take a load off. Ever look in your trunk to see what you are carrying around with you? Even 100 pounds of extra weight can reduce your fuel economy by 1 percent. Really!
3. Go the speed limit. Yes, everybody says it, but did you know that driving over the speed limit could increase tailpipe pollution in many vehicles? At 75 instead of 65, your fuel economy is lowered by about 10 percent.
4. Tires inflation. This is so important Ford has added a special feature to their Escape Hybrid! Its easy to do the optimum tire pressure is typically printed on a plate on the inside of the drivers door. For every 3 pounds below recommended pressure, you lose about 1 percent of fuel economy. Tires can easily lose a pound of pressure per month. Check them often, especially before long trips and before carrying heavy loads. Besides, under-inflated tires just arent safe!
5. Dont purchase high-octane fuels unless it is recommended by the manufacturer. They just dont improve fuel economy and are a waste of your money!
From the Feb. 21-27, 2007, issue