- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Hospice offers direct care training
Northern Illinois Hospice and Grief Counseling Center will offer direct care volunteer training from 6 to 9 p.m., Thursdays, Sept. 2-Nov. 11 at 4215 Newburg Rd.
Direct care volunteers work closely with patients and their families, offering companionship and friendship during an important end-of-life transition. Hours of care are based on the availability of volunteers, and the needs of the patients and families.
The training will include topics such as the following: Hospice philosophy and concept, personal death awareness, listening and communication skills, confidentiality, loss and grief, medical issues of terminal illness, infection control, legal aspects/psychological aspects of dying, patient and family needs, the funeral home and spirituality care, and volunteer responsibilities and reporting.
The cost for the 10-week training is $25. Info: Regina Schick at 398-0500.