The City of Rockford Building and Fire departments condemned the property at 773 E. State St., Dec. 7. The property is commonly known as the Inn Town Motel and was condemned after an inspection that revealed it not fit for human habitation.
Inspectors noted numerous life safety and fire code violations, including blocked emergency exits, no working smoke detectors, inadequate fire extinguishers, unapproved cooking in rooms, no working elevator, inadequate heating and hot water, non-rated doors, an extensive amount of combustible materials in storage, electrical hazards and rodent infestation.
As a direct result of the substandard housing conditions provided by the property owners, residents were using space heaters to supplement the inadequate heating system and combat sub-zero temperatures. The combination of inadequate heating, hazardous electrical systems and the complete absence of any proficient fire safety measures created an unacceptable risk to human safety.
If other citizens are faced with similar scenarios, you are urged to contact the City of Rockford Building Department at 987-5550.
The City of Rockford Human Services Department was on scene to aid in the relocation of occupants. The building will remain closed until such time as the property is brought into complete compliance with the City of Rockford Life Safety and Fire Codes.
From the Dec. 13-19, 2006, issue