- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Jeff Gordon wins from pole at Phoenix, honors No. 3
Jeff Gordon and the late Dale Earnhardt share the same number of Nextel Cup victories76. The two NASCAR drivers are tied for sixth on the all-time list, and are seven shy of fifth-place Cale Yarborough. Richard Petty is the all-time leader with 200 victories.
Gordon picked up his 76th win this past Saturday, April 21, in Phoenix. The victory ended his streak of 26 races without taking a checkered flag.
Gordon became the first driver to win from the pole at Phoenix. He honored Earnhardt by holding a No. 3 flag out his window as he took his victory lap.
Once again, it looked as though Tony Stewart had the race in hand. He grabbed the lead on lap 299, when he squeezed his car between Gordon and Martin Truex Jr. Gordon stayed right on the rear bumper of Stewart, and regained the lead on the next lap by driving under Stewart.
During the last 12 laps of the race, Gordon managed to pull away from Stewart, and ended up winning the race by a margin of six car lengths.
Gordon came into the race with an 8-point advantage over Jeff Burton in the season standings. After his win Saturday night, April 21, Gordon has widened his lead to 74 points. Cambridge, Wis., native, Matt Kenseth is in third, 160 points behind, and last years champion, Jimmie Johnson, is in fourth, 211 points back.
All the stars of NASCAR will be in Talladega this Sunday, April 29, for the Aarons 499. Race begins at 1:30 p.m., and can be seen locally on FOX 39.
from the April 25-May 1, 2007, issue