- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
Jeff Gordon wins from pole at Phoenix, honors No. 3
Jeff Gordon and the late Dale Earnhardt share the same number of Nextel Cup victories76. The two NASCAR drivers are tied for sixth on the all-time list, and are seven shy of fifth-place Cale Yarborough. Richard Petty is the all-time leader with 200 victories.
Gordon picked up his 76th win this past Saturday, April 21, in Phoenix. The victory ended his streak of 26 races without taking a checkered flag.
Gordon became the first driver to win from the pole at Phoenix. He honored Earnhardt by holding a No. 3 flag out his window as he took his victory lap.
Once again, it looked as though Tony Stewart had the race in hand. He grabbed the lead on lap 299, when he squeezed his car between Gordon and Martin Truex Jr. Gordon stayed right on the rear bumper of Stewart, and regained the lead on the next lap by driving under Stewart.
During the last 12 laps of the race, Gordon managed to pull away from Stewart, and ended up winning the race by a margin of six car lengths.
Gordon came into the race with an 8-point advantage over Jeff Burton in the season standings. After his win Saturday night, April 21, Gordon has widened his lead to 74 points. Cambridge, Wis., native, Matt Kenseth is in third, 160 points behind, and last years champion, Jimmie Johnson, is in fourth, 211 points back.
All the stars of NASCAR will be in Talladega this Sunday, April 29, for the Aarons 499. Race begins at 1:30 p.m., and can be seen locally on FOX 39.
from the April 25-May 1, 2007, issue