- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Keith School history course best in the world
Keith School has the strongest Advanced Placement U.S. History course in the world among schools in its size range, the College Board announced Feb. 7.
The College Board identifies such schools by comparing the number of students with scores of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) U.S. History Exams to the total high school enrollment.
No other school had a greater proportion of its student body succeed in AP U.S. History last year. Keith ranked atop the field for schools with fewer than 300 students in grades 10-12. Keiths high school enrollment numbers 108 out of an overall student population of 343.
The Rockford college-preparatory school is one of seven Illinois schools honored for exemplary AP programs, and the only one located outside the Chicago area.
The AP program enables students to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. In addition to U.S. history, Keith offers AP courses in English literature, European history, chemistry, biology, two levels of calculus and music theory. Students may take other AP exams as well, such as Probability and Statistics, English Language, French and Environmental Science.
Keiths AP History teacher is Dr. Ronald Lee, who is in his fourth year as Social Studies Department chairman. He earned his bachelors degree in political science from the University of Chicago, and his masters degree and Ph.D. in political science from Boston College.
Founded in 1916, Keith is an independent, nonsectarian, college-preparatory school at 1 Jacoby Place in Rockford. The school serves students age 3 through grade 12.
From the April 5-11, 2006, issue