- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Literary Hook: Great Modern Poems Sept. 14-15
We will wind down our Clearing series, noting the writers offerings for late summer and fall at The Clearing.
Aug. 19-25: A Journalers Life, facilitated by Darlene Cole and Joyce Morrison, who describe their class in the following way: Some people start with dreams in the youth and continue journaling in various ways. Some people write on their weekly or monthly calendars. Others journal through letters to family and friends. How have you or would you like to journal? This class will guide you through a myriad of journaling techniques and creative ideas to help you develop your own personal journal style.
Sept. 9-15: Womens Writing Retreat, with coach Judy Bridges, who describes the week this way: Writers, here is your chance to tap into The Clearings energy, the skill of a good coach, and the support of others who like to write. … Do you want to work on your book, finish a short story, craft a nonfiction article, or get started on your memoirs?
If the answer is yes, consider this retreat.
Sept. 14-15: Jumpstart your poetry with Great Modern Poems, facilitated by myself, Christine Swanberg. This class will provide various poems with interesting and dynamic strategies. Discussion, writing and critique will be included for poets who want to write and share in a supportive environment. The grounds of The Clearing will be grist for the mill.
For more information or to register for any of these classes, access theclearing.org or call toll-free at (877) 854-3225.
from the June 20-26, 2007, issue