- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Luther Bible College offers courses in Spanish
Luther Bible College in downtown Rockford has announced that it will be teaching selected courses in the Spanish language.
Two courses are being offered in Spanish during the fall term beginning Aug. 25 and will be taught by two Hispanic pastors. Discovering the Bible, Part 1 will be taught by the Rev. Carlos Catalan, pastor of El Redenter Iglesia Ev. Lutherana (Redeemer Lutheran Church, 827 16th St., Rockford). How to Study the Bible will be taught by the Rev. Gilberto Gonzalez, a graduate of Instituto Teologico, Chicago.
Dr. David L. Powers, president of Luther Bible College, said a shorter course of study taught in Spanish is being considered where a student could earn a certificate in Bible knowledge. Such a course of study, said Dr. Powers, would be attractive both to pastors and lay people, such as Sunday school teachers, congregational leaders, and those wanting a structured approach to their personal development in the Christian faith.
The courses will be taught at the same level with the same requirements as the regular curriculum, Powers said. To assist the older student, we may use more audio-visuals in class lectures and use a student workbook approach. We want the student who may be unfamiliar with the formal classroom to make the adjustment successfully and finish the course with a good sense of accomplishment.
Luther Bible College is in downtown Rockford at 625 E. Jefferson St. Students represent a wide range of religious tradition. For more information, call 961-9673 or visit the Web site at www.LutherBible.org.