- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Luther Bible College offers courses in Spanish
Luther Bible College in downtown Rockford has announced that it will be teaching selected courses in the Spanish language.
Two courses are being offered in Spanish during the fall term beginning Aug. 25 and will be taught by two Hispanic pastors. Discovering the Bible, Part 1 will be taught by the Rev. Carlos Catalan, pastor of El Redenter Iglesia Ev. Lutherana (Redeemer Lutheran Church, 827 16th St., Rockford). How to Study the Bible will be taught by the Rev. Gilberto Gonzalez, a graduate of Instituto Teologico, Chicago.
Dr. David L. Powers, president of Luther Bible College, said a shorter course of study taught in Spanish is being considered where a student could earn a certificate in Bible knowledge. Such a course of study, said Dr. Powers, would be attractive both to pastors and lay people, such as Sunday school teachers, congregational leaders, and those wanting a structured approach to their personal development in the Christian faith.
The courses will be taught at the same level with the same requirements as the regular curriculum, Powers said. To assist the older student, we may use more audio-visuals in class lectures and use a student workbook approach. We want the student who may be unfamiliar with the formal classroom to make the adjustment successfully and finish the course with a good sense of accomplishment.
Luther Bible College is in downtown Rockford at 625 E. Jefferson St. Students represent a wide range of religious tradition. For more information, call 961-9673 or visit the Web site at www.LutherBible.org.