As the temperatures drop, the City of Rockford steps up. The Human Services Department, through the direction of Mayor Larry Morrissey, has compiled a list of warming centers available to people in the community. Ten locations are available for people to come in from the cold. A complete list follows.
If people are in need of housing assistance, they should go to 612 N. Church St. The Human Services Department has outreach workers available to work with people to find solutions to their housing problems. For more information, contact the Community Action Agency for Winnebago and Boone County, the Human Services Department with the City of Rockford at 987-5782.
Daytime warming centers
1. Carpenters Place, 1149 Railroad Ave., 964-4105 (Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.), capacity 100, serves coffee
2. Ken-Rock Community Center, 3218 11th St., 398-8864 (Mon.-Thurs., 9 a.m.-9 p.m., Fri. 9 a.m-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-noon), capacity 100, no coffee
3. Mt. Sinai, 1901 W. State St., 964-5852, (Mon.-Fri. if wind chill factor is below 0; open from 5:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.), capacity 150, serves coffee
4. Keen Age Center, 2141 Henry Luckow Lane, Belvidere, 544-9893 (Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.), capacity 150, serves coffee
5. Champion Park, 430 Ashley Court, 963-6099 (daily, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.), capacity varies, no coffee
6. Jubilee Center, 412 N. Church St., 964-5520 (December-March: Mon., Tues., Thurs. 9 a.m.-noon & 1-4 p.m.; Wed. 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; Sun. noon-4 p.m.), capacity 200, serves coffee
7. Salvation Army, 1706 18th Ave., 397-0440 (daily, 4 p.m. on), capacity varies, no coffee
8. Red Cross, 809 Cedar St., 963-8471 (Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. women and families; Jan.-Feb.: Sun. 7 a.m.-noon), capacity 48, serves coffee
9. Rescue Mission, 715 W. State St., 965-5332 (24 hrs/day except meal times), no coffee
10. Public Safety Building, lobby open if 49 degrees or lower, no coffee
From the Dec. 28, 2005-Jan. 3, 2006, issue