- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
- Through the brewing class
- AFSCME: Governor trying to force work stoppage
- What’s to negotiate? Illinois GOP, Dems can’t agree on topic
- Windows users rejoice: Windows 10 fixes what ails you!
- An easy fix to the Cubs scoring woes
- Trump ripped on floor of state House
- Striving to preserve biodiversity
Music and sports: Share your favorites, and win a prize
Music and sports have always gone together. Football games have marching bands, baseball and hockey traditionally have had organists. You cant go to a professional basketball arena without hearing the latest in techno surround sound.
The music industry has also used sports to sell its product. Im thinking of songs such as Meatloafs Paradise by the Dashboard Light. He uses former major league baseball player-turned broadcaster Phil Rizzutos voice doing a play-by-play description.
Country music star Garth Brooks has more than one song about rodeos, and his song Unanswered Prayers mentions seeing his former girlfriend at a high school football game. Centerfield, by John Fogerty, is a staple at almost every ball diamond in America. The group Alabama has referenced minor league baseball and auto racing in a couple of their big hits.
These are just a few examples that came to mind without doing any research. I know I could find several others out there if I wanted to spend time on the Internet. Instead, I was hoping youd send me your favorite. If you have one I havent thought of, please send it to me via e-mail. Please dont send the obvious ones; I assume everyones list would include Take Me Out to the Ball Game and Super Bowl Shuffle.
Please try to be specific by referencing the artists name and title of the song. Ill include some of them in a follow-up column with your names. Ill pick one person randomly and give them a sports-related prize. Good luck, and keep your ears open.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
from the March 14-20, 2007, issue