New York Times gets more subpoenas in Plame case

Federal investigators have sent two more subpoenas to The New York Times in connection with the probe of who leaked the identity of former CIA officer Valerie Plame.

One summons was for reporter Judith Miller, and one was for The Times. Both seek documents and other records involved in the paper’s reporting on Plame. Miller had another subpoena on Aug. 11, which requires her to testify before the federal grand jury investigating the case.

Times spokeswoman Catherine Mathis said: “We now have a total of three subpoenas. We will either have to comply or file a motion to quash by Aug. 20. The Times will move to quash.”

The subpoenas are the latest in a number of actions in recent weeks against journalists taken by Special Prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald, who is heading the Plame investigation.

In another case, The Times reporters James Risen and Jeff Gerth are to find out this week wheter they will be cited for contempt of court for failure to disclose sources related to their coverage of Wen Ho Lee, the former scientist at Los Alamos who is suing the federal government for alleged violations of his privacy rights. Risen and Gerth are two of several reporters whom Lee’s attorneys have named and requested contempt findings.

In the Plame case, Washington Post reporter Walter Pincus got a subpoena last week. Post editors plan to seek to quash that one, while Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper was held in contempt Aug. 9 for refusing to name government officials who leaked Plame’s identity.

The Plame matter results from a newspaper column July 14, 2003, by syndicated columnist Robert Novak that disclosed Plame, who is married to former ambassador Joseph Wilson, was a CIA officer. Fitzgerald was appointed to find out who told Novak and how.

Novak hasn’t said whether he got a subpoena, but federal investigators already have interviewed Glenn Kessler, another Post reporter, and NBC pundit Tim Russert. Among government officials, the federal agents have conducted interviews with President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, both of whom have retained private attorneys. Several other White House officials also have been questioned.

Source: Editor and

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!