- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
One Drum performs at Beloit College
BELOIT, Wis.Boasting more drums per square inch of stage space than other ensembles, the Milwaukee-based group One Drum will perform at Beloit College at 7 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 7, in Eaton Chapel.
One Drum creates an intense sensory experience of multilingual 3- and 4-part harmonies, call-and-response, strings, dance movement and drums. Their unique blend of percussion includes the sounds of djembe, charango, digeridoo, oud, berimbau and kalimba, among others.
One Drum believes in the oneness of global music cultures and expresses the common cultural origins of music in their songs. The groups philosophy stems from the belief that drums have their own languages, which are inherent to musical traditions found all over the world. They build their songs on the foundation of drum talk, allowing a deep conversation to take place at each of their performances. Their music speaks multiple languages, originating from Africa, the Caribbean, Australia, the Middle East and the Americas.
One Drum has performed across the United States since the early 1990s. Its musicians have multiple recordings as a group and in collaboration with an extended family of musicians based all over the world.
The main group consists of Roman Edirisinghe, Jahmes Finlayson, Jeff Green, Holly Haebig, Cecilo Negron Jr., Julio Pabon, Thacher Schmid and David Stocker. For more information, visit http://www.onedrum.net.
Admission is $12 for the general public, $8 for senior citizens and $4 for students. Tickets are available at (608) 363-2755.
One Drum will perform as part of the 2004-05 Beloit College International Performing Arts Series. For more information on the event, visit http://www.beloit.edu and click on Campus Calendars.
The performance is open to the public.