- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Pranayama Yoga Studio expands
Studio owners Mary Beth Robertson and Joan Hurd announce the addition of four new teachers and six new classes, including Pilates.
Wendy Larsons Yoga for Busy People class on Saturdays combines physical and meditative practice and draws on Larsons own experience with yoga as an antidote to a busy life. She has studied classical hatha, Iyengar, Anusara, and Kundaline styles of yoga; and Insight and Vipassana meditation. Her teachers include Swami Chetenananda, Anthony Bogart, David Chernikoff of Naropa Institute, Bhante Rahula of the Bhavana Society, and shaman and spiritual guide Charles Conatser.
Una Ryan teaches two classes for beginning yoga students on Tuesdays. Ryan has practiced yoga for more than 30 years and studied with some of the worlds most renowned yoga instructors, including Rodney Yee, Donna Farhi, and Serena Early. Last year, she completed a 10-day workshop with Iyengar senior instructor Patricia Walden. Ryan also teaches yoga at the Jewish Community Center and Windsor Lake Office Park.
Toni Wasson is certified by The Temple of Kriya Yoga and will teach two Monday classes starting in August, one for seniors or those with limited range of motion, and one for beginning yoga students. As a Professional Life Coach and Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, Wassons instructional style reflects yogas healing effect on the human spirit. Wasson also teaches yoga at Beloit Memorial Hospital and leads stress reduction workshops.
Colleen Cox, who has taught mat and reformer Pilates for 13 years, teaches a Wednesday night Pilates class at the studio. As a professional dancer, she began studying Pilates to maintain her own flexibility. Cox trained at the Physical Mind Institute of Toronto and has additional certification from Stott Pilates. She also teaches at the Metropolitan School of Ballet and AEBN.
Pranayama Studio, 517 E. State St., Rockford, offers 17 weekly classes, private instruction and special workshops. A punch-card payment approach provides flexible class attendance options. Call 968-YOGA (9642) for information and a complete schedule of classes.