- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Ramblings from Reggie: What happens when you lose your checkbook
Hope you had a happy Fourth of July! Im always torn about whether we should move all holidays to a Monday or Friday. I know tradition and all that, but I can see both sides of the argument. More than 200 roadblocks were being put up to suppress the citizens.
In April, somebody decided they needed my checkbook more than I did. That person also decided they needed to make purchases or cash checks at Wal-Marts around town. Now, Telecheck decided I no longer needed to cash checks around town because all my stolen checks were returned by the bank because they were reported stolen. Because of the thiefs action and Wal-Marts obvious lack of identification enforcement, I have to go through the process of proving it wasnt I who wrote the checks.
I would like to know why two people/organizations stupidity translates into my work? Clearly, Wal-Mart could look at those checks and say I did not write them. My license and Social Security card were not stolen. I tried to call Telecheck; in no way are they going to answer the phone and hear my wrathcant get through to a live person.
My questions about this are these: How can they throw my name out to every Telecheck terminal without making their retailer do some background work? Is this legal? Im not a lawsuit guy, never filed one in my life, but I am interested how the system can work like this. E-mail me with your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add another reason why I do not go to Wal-Mart.
A lot of people are going through worse scenarios with identity theft. Instead of lawmakers doing their usual spin, they should attack this issue head-on and put some teeth into these crimes and be clever about how to protect us. Maybe chips under our skin will ultimately be the only way?
Go, Raptors! If you dont know Coach Rik Richards, you should try to. He is a great guy, and a motivated football coach. The team has a lot of talent from top to bottom. All they need is the community support. They should make it to the championship game, but potentially Sioux Falls is almost unbeatable right now. But coach has time to work on that problem.
The new Swilligans The Pub karma put the IceHogs over the top. Maybe we have enough left for the Raptors!
Swilligans will be closed Sundays until Waterfront weekend. Of course, we will be there for you Monday through Saturday with MLB games, karaoke on Wednesday and Saturday, and live music Thursday.
Come on downtownthe bridges are all working, and its free!
Reggie Roberson is owner of Swilligans The Pub, 200 N. Church St.
.from the July 5-10, 2007, issue