R.E.A.C.H. for School Dist. 205
On Monday, Jan. 8, 2001, at their monthly meeting, R.E.A.CH. made the following recommendations and requests to the District 205 School Board. Cuts will be discussed at the Feb. 5 meeting of R.E.A.CH.
1. School board should revoke/amend their November court report which stated that the court has authority to order a Jenkins tax.
2. School board should state unequivocally that they wouldnt agree to a Jenkins order.
3. School board should request comparative report of special education expenses and number of students from similar school districts, and are they exceeding state mandates? What is the number of students who live outside of District 205 and who are serviced by the district, and are the revenues that are received for this service enough to cover the expenses of these students?
4. There isnt enough adequate information to support a future General Education referendum.
5. There isnt enough adequate information to support a future Operations and Maintenance referendum.
6. Board should seek independent bond counsel on the legality of the tort bonds.
7. Settle issue of the tax refunds owed to the protesters/objectors prior to any consideration of tax referendum.
8. Board to make a meaningful and enforceable attendance policy.
Waivers from the Master
while the CRO is in effect:
1. Eliminate racial balance requirements in the High School Advanced Placement Courses.
2. Eliminate Controlled Choice for high school and middle school.
3. Eliminate requirement for geometry and chemistry at the high school level.
4. Change the Controlled Choice + or – compliance percentage from 15 percent to 20 percent for elementary schools and classes.
5. Change the Controlled Choice + or – compliance percentage from 15 percent to 30-50 percent for half-day kindergartens.