- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Rock for a good cause
Rock for a good cause
By Caroline Rohner, Staff Writer
Rockford musicians have once again proven their commitment to helping out their hometown. Seven local bands are teaming up for the 3rd annual Rock for the Center, a benefit concert for the Barbara Olson Center of Hope. The fund-raiser will run from 3-10 p.m. at Davis Park on Saturday June 7th.
A diverse selection of bands was chosen to guarantee entertainment for all audiences. Clutch Cargo will kick off the event. They will be followed by the Beat Merchants, Harlan Jefferson, S.O.S, Gravity Ann, and Pistol Pete. Headlining pop-rockers Harmony Riley are scheduled to close the show. Each act will play a 45-minute set.
The Barbara Olson Center of Hope has been serving the Rockford area since 1948. The non-profit organization provides vocational training and social interaction for teens and adults with developmental disabilities.
Rock for the Center has proven to be a vital event for the organization. Administrative Assistant Stephanie Janczak explained: This is our largest fund-raiser of the year. Weve been working on it for eight months.
The Center of Hope specifically focuses on Rockford-based bands to spotlight the citys high level of talent. With the progress the organization has made, it must be working.
The first year we started out with 100 people and made $1,000, Janczak said. Then the second year we had 600 people and made $8,000. Now the event hasnt even started yet and we already have a $4,500 profit.
Rock for the Center tickets are $5 in advance and $7 at the gate. Information: 964-9275.