- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
Rock for a good cause
Rock for a good cause
By Caroline Rohner, Staff Writer
Rockford musicians have once again proven their commitment to helping out their hometown. Seven local bands are teaming up for the 3rd annual Rock for the Center, a benefit concert for the Barbara Olson Center of Hope. The fund-raiser will run from 3-10 p.m. at Davis Park on Saturday June 7th.
A diverse selection of bands was chosen to guarantee entertainment for all audiences. Clutch Cargo will kick off the event. They will be followed by the Beat Merchants, Harlan Jefferson, S.O.S, Gravity Ann, and Pistol Pete. Headlining pop-rockers Harmony Riley are scheduled to close the show. Each act will play a 45-minute set.
The Barbara Olson Center of Hope has been serving the Rockford area since 1948. The non-profit organization provides vocational training and social interaction for teens and adults with developmental disabilities.
Rock for the Center has proven to be a vital event for the organization. Administrative Assistant Stephanie Janczak explained: This is our largest fund-raiser of the year. Weve been working on it for eight months.
The Center of Hope specifically focuses on Rockford-based bands to spotlight the citys high level of talent. With the progress the organization has made, it must be working.
The first year we started out with 100 people and made $1,000, Janczak said. Then the second year we had 600 people and made $8,000. Now the event hasnt even started yet and we already have a $4,500 profit.
Rock for the Center tickets are $5 in advance and $7 at the gate. Information: 964-9275.