- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Rockford Chamber to honor Citizen of the Year
The Rockford Regional Chamber of Commerce will honor a citizen who has made an extraordinary contribution to the community with the first-ever Citizen of the Year Award. For the first time, the award will be open to non-Chamber members as well as to members.
The Citizen of the Year Award will be presented during the Chambers 2006 Annual Dinner Jan. 25 at Cliffbreakers.
Were looking for someone whos truly made a difference in the Rockford area, said Mike Broski, a Chamber board member and chairman of the committee that will decide the winner. This may be a person whos provided eyeglasses to the poor or donated dental services. It may be a person who goes unrecognized and provides services unnoticed by the community. It doesnt necessarily have to be someone whos given or raised a lot of money.
Broski and the award committee are seeking nominations for individual citizens in the Rockford area who have made extraordinary contributions to the welfare and progress of the community, generally over a period of years. This person need not be a member of the Rockford Chamber of Commerce.
Nomination forms are available at the Chambers Web site, www.rockfordchamber.com, or by calling the Rockford Chamber of Commerce at (815) 987-8100. The deadline for nominations is Jan. 15, 2006.
From the Dec. 28, 2005-Jan. 3, 2006, issue