- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
School Band places first
School Band places first
Last weekend, April 26 and 27, Flinn Middle Schools Jazz Band and Concert Band both captured first place in their respective divisions in the Music In the Parks Festival in St. Louis, Mo. Additionally, the Concert Band received a Superior rating for their performance. Fourteen bands from across the nation competed in this years festival. Sixty students, as well as Braun and a number of parent chaperones, made the weekend trek to St. Louis. The annual Music in the Park competition is a long-standing Flinn Band tradition.
The Jazz and the Concert Band are under the direction of Tim Braun, a 2002 Golden Apple recipient. I couldnt be prouder of our students, said Braun. They approached each performance with the highest level of focus Ive ever seen them display. They conducted themselves with maturity and professionalism the entire weekend. They were excellent representatives of Flinn Middle School and our community.
The Flinn Middle School Concert Band is open to seventh and eighth graders who have played for at least one year. (Those entering sixth grade students with prior playing experience may be placed into Concert Band with instructor approval.) The focus of the band is to develop more advanced skills on the instruments and to perform more advanced music. The Concert Band performs three annual school concerts in December, March and May. They often perform in the community around Christmas for special events. They have in the past participated in the Illinois Grade School Music Associations District and State Music Festivals. They perform each spring at several of the districts grade schools.
The Flinn Middle School Jazz Band is an extracurricular group that meets outside of school hours. This group is open to any student in the school with one year or more of playing experience who can read music well. This group utilizes the traditional big band instrumentation, so enrollment is limited to five saxophones, four to five trumpets, four trombones, plus rhythm section of piano, guitar, bass, and drums. The Jazz Band performs at the three school concerts and frequently is invited to play at other school and community functions.
For more information, contact Tim Braun, Flinn Middle School band director, (815) 229-2800.