- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Sock Monkey Madness Festival set for April 8-9
Visitors can make, decorate and buy sock monkeys and tour a Missing Link exhibit
The Sock Monkey Madness Festival returns to Midway Village & Museum Center from noon to 5 p.m., April 8-9. Admission is $6 adults, $4 children and students (3 to 17). An additional charge is needed for workshops. Members are always free.
At this family festival, visitors can make a sock monkey, decorate a sock monkey, accessorize a sock monkey, or buy a sock monkey. All sock monkeys come with a Certificate of Authenticity and a history of the sock-knitting machine, ancestor to the red-heel sock monkey.
The following will be included in this Celebration of Everything Sock Monkey:
Vendors of sock monkeys and supplies;
An exhibit titled The Missing Link: Socks, Monkeys, and Rockfords Industrial Past;
Sock monkey-related activities for kids;
A display of fiberglass sock monkeys;
Certificate signing by Barbara Gerry, great-granddaughter of John Nelson, inventor of the sock-knitting machine;
Sock monkey books and book signings;
Miss/Mr. Sockford 2006 Sock Monkey Pageant; and
Sock Monkey Hospital where surgeries and check-ups will be performed on sock monkeys.
The knitting machine was invented in Rockford by John Nelson. The loveable sock monkey doll has been delighting adults and children alike for generations. Rockford is the proud home of the sock monkey doll.
Midway Village & Museum Center is at 6799 Guilford Rd., Rockford. More info: www.midwayvillage.com or 397-9112.
From the April 5-11, 2006, issue