- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Sportsmens Club fish dinner March 31
Rockfords longest-running annual fish dinner will be this Saturday, March 31. The Rockford Sportsmens Club is holding its 73rd annual version of the event. The Hoffman House Convention Center at 7570 E. State St. in Rockford is hosting the dinner.
Doors open at 5 p.m., and dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $17 for dinner and includes a chance to win several hundred dollars worth of door prizes. A separate raffle will also be held for a chance to win cash prizes. First prize is $300, $100 goes to the second-place winner, and third place will take home $50.
The dinner is the only fund-raiser for the club to raise money for their operating expenses. In September 2006, their main building and shelter house were burned down. For the fire department to gain access to the buildings, they had to cut off the gate locks at Sportsmans Park. All current and any new members will be required to get a replacement key for the 2007 season.
Current members can pick up a new key at the dinner for $2. Anyone wishing to join the club can take advantage of a combination new membership and key for $15. The club is open to both men and women, and the public is invited. According to club president Maynard Wibom, Come out this summer to see the new building and the beautiful club grounds.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
from the March 28-April 3, 2007, issue