- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Tax fraud trial set for family in October
Philip M. Priola, one of the owners of U Grill It Inc., which did business in Machesney Park Mall as Texas Grill Steakhouse and Lounge, was charged by federal officials July 29, 2003, for allegedly conspiring to defraud the Internal Revenue Service and Department of the Treasury.
Also named in the indictment was Priolas daughter Lynann M. Gage (formerly Priola) and Priolas son Thomas J. Priola. Both were active in management of L.T.s during the period alleged in the indictment.
The indictment alleged that from at least 1992 to 1998, the named family members intentionally conspired to under report gross receipts and net profits of LTs Bar. It also alleged a cash skimming operation took place for the benifit of the named family members.
Included in the alleged skimming operation were proceeds from cigarette vending machines and coin-operated amusement machines.
The case is set for a jury trial beginning Oct. 8, 2004, at 8:45 a.m., before Federal District Court Judge Philip G. Reinhard in the federal courthouse in Rockford.