Taxpayers must provide accurate address

Taxpayers must provide accurate address


Homeowners and businessmen who want to have their property tax bill sent to an address other than the one displayed on last year’s tax bill need to submit a change of address to County Treasurer Susan Goral’s office. As a protection to the taxpayer, a signature is required to be on file in her office with all such requests.

Every year, the post office returns several thousand property tax bills to the treasurer’s office as undeliverable. Each property owner needs to have a valid address on file because failure to receive a tax bill does not void the tax or prevent the addition of penalties.

Property owners are advised to have tax bills sent to them, rather than to mortgage companies or other lenders. In this way, owners do not miss announcements sent out regarding assessment changes, exemption renewal, notice of unpaid taxes and tax sale, as well as the tax bill itself, to compare against an escrow account. Treasurer Sue Goral advises, “If in doubt whether a copy of your bill should be forwarded to assure payment, contact your mortgage holder.”

Address change forms are available at the treasurer’s office, 404 Elm St., Room 205. You can have a form mailed or faxed to you by calling 987-3010.

Enjoy The Rock River Times? Help spread the word!