- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Thunder sneak into playoffs
StoryImage( ‘/Images/Story//Auto-img-118780438831251.jpg’, ”, ”);
In their inaugural season here in town, the Rockford Thunder of the National Pro Fastpitch league have made the playoffs. Barely.
The team secured the fourth, and final, playoff spot after some help from the New England Riptide.
The Tide defeated the Philadelphia Force in extra innings Sunday afternoon, Aug. 19. The Forces loss allowed the 24-20 Thunder to sneak in and claim the final playoff spot.
The No. 4-seeded Thunder will take on the No. 1 seed and regular-season champion Washington Glory. The Glory finished the season with a 34-10 record.
The two teams will meet in game one of the double-elimination tournament Friday night, Aug. 24, in Kimberly, Wis. Game time is 8:15 p.m. The Thunder will be coming into that game after having lost seven of their final eight regular-season games. Hopefully, they can turn things around for this post-season tournament.
The format of the tournament is a four-team, double-elimination tournament with a team needing to win three games to be crowned the 2007 NPF champion.
from the Aug. 22-28, 2007, issue