The suspension cables to support the reconstruction of Robert Tinkers 1891 suspension bridge have been strung. Lead contractor Civil Constructors used a crane to support the cables while attaching them to the bridge. Suspension bridges rely on the tension in the cables to keep the walkway suspended. The cables are guided by towers and are anchored at each end.
Once the cables were hung, they were connected to vertical rods that form the sides of the bridge. Then the scaffolding being used to build the bridge was removed, and concrete was poured to complete the anchors at each end of the structure.
The Museum expects that the bridge will be open for visitors in June. In 1870, Rockford businessman Robert Tinker first built a swinging bridge to link his Cottage with the home of his wife Mary, located across Kent Creek from the Cottage. Although this bridge was rebuilt in 1891 after a flood, Tinkers suspension bridge remained a local landmark until it was razed in 1976.
From the May 18-24, 2005, issue