- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Tinker Swiss Cottage raises $1,613 with Fifth Annual Quilt Raffle
Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum is pleased to report that its fifth annual raffle of an heirloom-quality quilt was a wonderful success. A total of $1,613 was raised for the support of the Museums varied educational programs.
On Dec. 4, the winning ticket was drawn. Marg Wiedenhoefer was the lucky winner. Mrs. Wiedenhoefer purchased the first six tickets in June at the Museums Annual Ice Cream Social; 2,000 tickets were available. Wiedenhoefer was thrilled to win the quilt, noting that It is just beautiful and that it is the first time she has won anything in more than 30 years!
This years queen-size quilt, Rose Bud, is a patchwork of soft blues, purples, peach and maroon, and pays tribute to the elaborate gardens that Robert Tinker once maintained around his Cottage. The quilt was pieced by Donna Langford and Kammy Keyes and quilted by Shadowplay Quillworks of Rockford. Raffle tickets were sold from June 12 until Dec. 4, 2005.
In 2006, Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum will raffle off another one-of-a-kind quilt, this one presented by the Sinnissippi Valley Quilt Guild. Tickets will go on sale June 11, 2006.
Tinker Swiss Cottage was built in 1865 by local businessman Robert Tinker, and is a veritable treasure trove of life in Rockford a century ago. The Cottage receives more than 8,000 visitors each year. For more information, contact the Museum at (815) 964-2424.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2005, issue