- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Winnebago County Board moves to fill open seat
Winnebago County Board Chairman Scott H. Christiansen recently extended his congratulations to John Sweeney on becoming part of the Winnebago County team in the role of facilities coordinator.
Sweeney has been a dedicated County Board member of the people in District 14 for many years.
Sweeneys strong commitment to results when representing the people in District 14 will serve him well in his role as he transitions into his position as facilities coordinator, Christiansen said. Sweeney, and his leadership, will be missed on the County Board.
The vacancy created by Sweeneys departure presents a challenge to the Board to fill his seat quickly, and provide a seamless transition for the benefit of his constituents.
Christiansen has suggested Frank Gambino to fulfill the vacancy until the November election.
Gambino has expressed interest in becoming a board member, and he filed in District 14 as a Republican candidate for County Board. Gambino accepted the appointment, pending the appropriate approval process.
From the Jan. 25-31, 2006, issue