- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
Women's history contest essay due Jan. 31
Fifth, sixth and seventh graders, would you like to discover some of your grandmothers stories (or secrets)? Find old photos of her and make them into a poster? Shed like that! And you could win a prize!
Fifth, sixth and seventh graders from the northern Illinois region are invited to participate in the 24th annual Women in My History Essay and Poster Contest, sponsored by the Rockford branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW). The contest is held in conjunction with Womens History Month. Participants interview a woman at least 30 years older than themselves. A 400- to 700-word essay and a visual poster are created based on information from the interview. The finished essays and posters must be received at Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum by Jan. 31 for judging. Winners will be announced at the end of February, with winning posters displayed at the museum during the month of March. A first- and second-place will be determined for each grade level. Winning students receive a gift certificate for Barnes & Noble Booksellers.
Students may participate as individuals or as part of a classroom, home school group, Scout troop or church youth group. For complete rules and sample interview questions, contact Donna Langford at Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum, 411 Kent St., Rockford, IL 61102, 964-2424, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the contest, AAUW will donate new books about women in history to the participants organization library or to a library of the students choice. To donate funds for this book drive, contact AAUW-Rockford Branch, Poster Contest Book Drive, c/o YWCA of Rockford, 4990 E. State St., Rockford, IL 61108.
From the Jan. 17-23, 2007, issue