- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
YouthBuild helps park district
YouthBuild of Rockford is helping out the Rockford Park District by building the Flotilla 61 storage and restroom building in Illinois Street Park.
Al Solverson of YouthBuild said his crew will be working on the 1,000-square-foot building for roughly the next two weeks.
YouthBuild is a program designed to teach various technical skills to youth ages 16-24 through a vigorous 10-month program. The youth spend part of their time in a classroom setting working on computers and learning other skills and the other time in the field working constructing homes and other structures.
We work with the local trade unions to help the graduates of our program get into the apprentice programs. We usually build three homes a year. The city of Rockford has a program to help first-time homeowners purchase these homes, said Solverson.
For more information about YouthBuild, call 963-6236.