- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
YouthBuild helps park district
YouthBuild of Rockford is helping out the Rockford Park District by building the Flotilla 61 storage and restroom building in Illinois Street Park.
Al Solverson of YouthBuild said his crew will be working on the 1,000-square-foot building for roughly the next two weeks.
YouthBuild is a program designed to teach various technical skills to youth ages 16-24 through a vigorous 10-month program. The youth spend part of their time in a classroom setting working on computers and learning other skills and the other time in the field working constructing homes and other structures.
We work with the local trade unions to help the graduates of our program get into the apprentice programs. We usually build three homes a year. The city of Rockford has a program to help first-time homeowners purchase these homes, said Solverson.
For more information about YouthBuild, call 963-6236.