- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
YouthBuild helps park district
YouthBuild of Rockford is helping out the Rockford Park District by building the Flotilla 61 storage and restroom building in Illinois Street Park.
Al Solverson of YouthBuild said his crew will be working on the 1,000-square-foot building for roughly the next two weeks.
YouthBuild is a program designed to teach various technical skills to youth ages 16-24 through a vigorous 10-month program. The youth spend part of their time in a classroom setting working on computers and learning other skills and the other time in the field working constructing homes and other structures.
We work with the local trade unions to help the graduates of our program get into the apprentice programs. We usually build three homes a year. The city of Rockford has a program to help first-time homeowners purchase these homes, said Solverson.
For more information about YouthBuild, call 963-6236.