- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Literary Hook: Learn how to bring invigoration to your poetry Aug. 22
Last week, we looked at a one-day writing course at The Clearing in Ellison Bay, Wis. This week, we are looking at another one-day opportunity for writers, also offered in Wisconsin.
All Writers Workshop and Workplace, 234 Brook St., Unit 2, Waukesha, Wis., offers on-site and online courses as well as publishing and editing services. Another unique offering is Celebrity Saturdays. I will be offering the following one in August.
All Writers Celebrity Saturday
Aug. 22, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
“Honey, I Didn’t Shrink the Poems…”
…with Christine Swanberg
What if we took an expansive approach to poetry writing and revision rather than a reductive approach? Would it be possible to open up our poems and let them do things we may not have imagined or allowed them to do before? Let’s examine what a poem can do simultaneously: create a short narrative, invent original phrases, construct sparkling juxtapositions, lead to epiphany, probe psychological depth, sculpt elegant stanzas with “music” within the stanza.
Bring a couple of poems that seem in need of invigoration, and we’ll talk about strategies to accomplish that. Be open to experimentation as we revise and create new work, enlarging the scope of the poem rather than paring it down. We’ll look at some virtuoso poems for inspiration to set the scene for enlargement rather than confinement of your work. You will have time to create new work as well. Then, we will affirm and discuss the work generated through this expansive lens.
Cost is $85. Call (262) 446-0284 to register or visit AllWriters.com.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet who has written several books of poetry.
from the July 22-28, 2009, issue