- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
- Photos: North America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment at Rockford’s Midway Village
OSF Center for Health Fitness introduces self-defense seminar
The OSF Saint Anthony Center for Sports Medicine and Health Fitness is offering a special one-session self-defense seminar and class, to be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Aug. 15, and again from 1 to 3:30 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 16, at the OSF Center for Health, 5510 E. State St., Rockford. The class is open to both men and women.
Self Defense includes three components. The verbal self-defense section provides education about being aware of surroundings, learning about different kinds of interviews (hot, cold and silent), maintaining a safe zone and using the non-aggressive stance defensively.
The mental portion of self-defense includes information about setting boundaries, using the R.A.W. (Ready, Aware and Willing) technique and yelling to break for the freeze response.
In the third segment, participants will learn physical applications, including self-defense techniques for far-range, mid-range and close-range attacks, escape mechanisms and counter-attacks.
The seminar is conducted by Master Bennie Gonzalez, fifth degree Black Belt at the Excel Academy in Rockford and martial arts instructor fore more than 14 years. Master Gonzalez began martial arts training in Kung Fu at the age of 11 and free-style Tae Kwon Do two years later. His style has led him to compete in a number of championships in form and sparring, and he has placed well in national tournaments. In 2003, he was inducted into the World Wide Martial Arts Hall of Fame in the category of Instructor of the Year.
Master Gonzalez and his students continue to win state, regional and national tournaments.
The fee for the Self Defense seminar is $20, and space is limited. Reservations and payment are due by Thursday, Aug. 13.
For registration and information, call (815) 395-4561 or (815) 395-4591. The OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Web site is www.osfsaintanthony.org.
from the July 22-28, 2009, issue